De Backman-Hoyle is a well known National Mental Health Advocate Leader and Public Speaker. De has held a long association with the Australian BPD Foundation and proudly MC’ed the 1st National BPD conference in Melbourne in October 2011. De is known for her passionate views on needing to decrease the stigma sometimes related to BPD and other Mental Illnesses.
- Co-chair Community Collaboration Committee − The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP).
- Co-chair − Centre of Research Excellence in Suicide Prevention (CRESP) Lived Experience Advisory Group (LEAG) Australia.
- Community Representative Committee for Education, Evaluation, Monitoring and Research − The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP).
- Faculty of Psychotherapy Community and Carer Committee representative − The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP).
- Former Board Member in the role of Deputy Chair for the Victorian Mental Health Carers Network, now known as Tandem for three years − the peak body for families and carers of people in Victoria, Australia experiencing mental ill health.
- Former Co-chair within the Executive Team of the National Mental Health Consumer & Carer Forum as the beyondblue Blue Voices Carer Representative since 2008 - 2015. The NMHCCF is the Peak Australian Mental Health Consumer and Carer Forum, auspiced through Mental Health (Australia).
- Former Victorian Network Coordinator for the Private Mental Health Consumer Carer Network (Australia).