The ACS is dedicated to healthy coastal ecosystems, vibrant coastal communities and sustainable use of coastal resources.
- Promote knowledge and understanding of the environmental, social and economic value of the Australian coast.
- Provide a forum for the exchange of ideas and knowledge among people involved in the management, planning and development of the Australian coast.
- Contribute to international, national, state and local debates on coastal issues so as to foster rational, open decision-making in order to achieve sustainable use of coastal resources and responsible stewardship of coastal assets.
- Improve public, government and industry understanding of the value of the Australian coast for individual and social well being, the need to maintain and improve coastal ecosystems, and to ensure the use of ecologically sustainable development practices.
- Promote the protection and conservation of sites of environmental and cultural significance on the coast and in coastal waters.
- Facilitate increased knowledge and skills of people working and studying in coastal natural resource management, planning, development and other relevant industries along the Australian coast.
- Serve as a link between various Australian organisations and individuals with interests in the Australian coast.
- Support national, state and local coastal conferences.
- Do all things necessary for and incidental to the advancement of those objects.
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Australian Coastal Society please click here.