The mission of the unit is to enhance the capacity of the Queensland Police Service to participate in the whole of government approach to minimise the harms associated with AOD use.
The DACU performs a number of key functions:
- Provides high-level policy advice on drug and alcohol issues to the Queensland Police Service and State and national governments.
- Maintains effective liaison with other law enforcement bodies, government departments and agencies and non-government organisations involved in the drug and alcohol field.
- Undertakes research into current and emerging alcohol and other drug related issues impacting on law enforcement.
- Represents the Queensland Police Service at various forums relating to alcohol and other drug issues.
- Assists in the development, implementation and delivery of training programs and proactive strategies on alcohol and other drugs, including the development and dissemination of related information and resources.
- Coordinates and supports projects funded under the National and Queensland Drug Strategies.