Oral presentation guidelines
Presenters are advised that:
- Presentations will be audio recorded, and the audio and slide presentations will be archived on the ASAM website (Member’s Area) for the benefit and education of all ASAM members
- Selected presentations will be offered as continuing professional development activities, suitable to satisfy CASA’s CPD requirement for recertification as a DAME
- Selected presentations will be converted into a written manuscript to be published in the Journal of the Australasian Society of Aerospace Medicine.
You will be asked to consider these requests and indicate on your AV Requirements Form your consent to allow ASAM to record your presentation and retain the slides in support of these important educational initiatives.
If your presentation is selected, presenters are requested to:
- Provide a full list of references used in your presentation formatted using the JASAM guidelines. These will be included if your presentation is converted into a written manuscript suitable for publication.
- Provide a manuscript (essentially, a verbal transcript of what you will be saying). This will make it easier for our journal support staff to prepare your presentation for publication.
- Provide three (3) multiple choice questions that represent the learning outcomes you wish to convey through your presentation. These will form the basis of the online CPD activity.
ORAL PRESENTATION INSTRUCTIONS
Format: The format of your session has been emailed to you by Brodi Newsome.
There will be time cards shown to provide you with time remaining updates, however we recommend practising to ensure your presentation is of the appropriate time.
All presentations must be created using Microsoft PowerPoint and be in 16:9 (width:height) ratio format.
Tips for creating your PowerPoint presentation
- Use a font that is easy to read. Arial, Verdana or Calibri tend to be the easiest to read on screens
- Font should be no smaller than 18pt
- Align text left. Centered text is harder to read
- Write in point form, not complete sentences
- Include 4-5 bullet points per slide
- Avoid wordiness and clutter: A headline, a few bullet points, maybe an image – anything more than that and you risk losing your audience.
- Heading font should be bigger than your body text.
- Put dark text on a white background. This is easiest to read. If you must use a dark background – for instance, if your company uses a standard template with a dark background – make sure your text is quite light (white, cream or light grey) and increase the font size.
- Images, charts and diagrams:
- A chart, diagram or image can often convey much more to your audience than text
- Don’t use low resolution images as these can appear blurry on the screen.
- Use 1-2 slides per minute of your presentation
For more information about PowerPoint or sample PowerPoint templates via Microsoft please click here.
Note: PowerPoint presentations are required in 16:9 (widescreen) format. Contact Iceberg Events should you require assistance with ensuring your presentation is in this format.
Iceberg Events are the appointed Conference Organisers. Please contact us with your oral presentation queries.
Event Coordinator, Iceberg Events
+61 7 3876 4988